In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t made a blog post in a while. And that’s gonna continue for a while. Reason is simple. Shit happens IRL and I’m gonna be stuck in California for at least 3 more weeks.I have written a ton in the past few weeks, but I’m contemplating what to do with them now.
Attached above are the stats for my blog. As expected, my latest non-story update, the Game Of Thrones poster is charging up to become one of my most read posts, despite it being just a prequel to the actual post I wanted to write. It’s nice since I put in a bit of effort into that Jpeg, but it’s also sad because I knew it would succeed to a certain degree, given my own search patterns on Google.
I set out to make a story-oriented blog, but I guess it ain’t exactly panning out the way I want it. Views are stable this month, WAY up from April, like 30%, despite me writing less than a handful of posts. And the top articles read this month are stuff I’ve written quite a while back. All in all, this is gonna be my second best month in terms of views.
States Don’t Lie
If I am smart enough, I would have titled this post something like “WordPress SEO statistics”. If you still don’t get the idea why, then just understand that blog title actually matters when it comes to search results. Heck, even”Wordpess SEO” with the spelling error is going to nab me more views than this actual title. That’s the way Google works.
My only story in the top list has only 33 views, and that happened only because of the conversation a few of us were having in the comments section. The rest of them were lucky to get even 10, regardless of number of likes or what-nots.
I’m still conflicted about the blog direction I want to take, since it’s apparent that the Internet is a gamed system based on user input (search) instead of content. Sure, there are solid gimmicks out there that bloggers have succeeded with, and I’m tempted to try a few of them, but then again, is that what I want?
Crystal ball gazing
This blog will live on, getting a steady number of views, based on just the handful of posts that are garnering search results now. Five posts…. that’s all. Five posts that account for 80% of all views. And one lost that accounts for 30%. And in case I haven’t made it clear, the game of thrones post was a thinly veiled attempt to get views, mainly via google images. I expect it to catch up with the Jellyfish one, once I make a few more posters or variations.
What to expect going forward:
– Photo Prompts / Essays with comments or short stories on recent HOT media. I’m gonna take a cue from power short dailies for this (darn, trying to link via the iPad app is tedious).
– Writing Guides / Author Features which are share worthy. Most of my views from the Ang Lee post, or Lee Child, were because they were re-blogged or shared.
– New Blog for Marketing / Follower-baiting purposes and this one for personal updates. Kinda too much work though, but it’s my fault for always writing long ranting posts. 200 word posts work just as well as 1000 word ones.
What not to expect
– Stories / Short Stories Just no market for random stuff, probably if I have a solid continuous story, but that’s not what I want.
– Rants Like this. Shucks.. my fave
But I’m still twiddling my thumbs just writing my stories for now. Until I get back in front of my workstation, things might change. Keep up the good fight my non-SEO caring friends. And for the SEO-scum, I’m contemplating joining the dark side now.
And with that, I bid you adieu. Though attaching a random meme here will net me a couple of extra views.